Sunday, September 1, 2013

The First Week

Hello!!!

I forgot my notes so I hope I remember to type up everything! An hour does not seem like enough time to write everyone!! If I don't get to your email today PLEASE send it to me through Dear Elder. We normally get those the next day and then I can respond to them through letters. It takes FOREVER I hear though for a letter to get from me to you so sorry if you have to wait a little while. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE getting mail though so if you can send me anything I would love it!!!

Ok so the first day at the MTC. If each bit of information we received was a drop of water then we spent 5 minutes standing under a fire hose on full blast!! It was super overwhelming!!! We were dropped off shuttled to a building to get our tags and our 12 pounds of Finnish books and then we were placed on a bus and sent over to West Campus. Yep. I'm on West Campus. I'll share a little more about that later.
My Books! THEY ARE SO HEAVY!! Luckily I can leave them in the classroom most of the time!

First Day

Then we dropped our stuff off in our room and were led over to our classrooms where I feel like I already live. We probably spend at least 7 hours a day sitting in those rooms. It's a good thing I like my district or it would be a struggle. :) I am in a trio companionship with Sisar Ross from Virginia/China and Sisar Knapp from Mapleton. We met her and her family at the Temple before we went in! There are also 5 Vanhimmat in our District. Vanhim Richards, Chapman, Stegby (from Sweden), Hugie and Wilson. We are all slowly learning to speak Finnish together and it is great!
My District! All Amazing people!!

Our apartments are pretty nice! It is great having a fridge and a bathroom just for the 5 of us! I share with my two companions and Sisar Nyman from Norway and Sisar Hansen from Washington. They are hilarious and so fun to be around! We have 3 rooms, but our trio has to be in the same room so I sleep on a mattress on the floor. We also have a nice living room and a kitchen. It's pretty great!

I've run into quite a few people while I have been here. Sister Howe on the first day. Sister King when we went over to main campus Friday for my companion to get some pills. Annie Fitt in the Bookstore! Sister Gibb at choir on Sunday! :) Sister Vernon every day until she left for Argentina Monday AND CONNIE TODAY!! Our P-Day is serendipitously the same day she works!! It brought such comfort getting to see her!!! I can't wait to get to see her next week! Hopefully my companions don't mind visiting her too much. :)

Ahh so basically I'll attach some pictures in some emails. It will only let me send one at a time so sorry for spamming your inbox.

Ok so many stories so little time!!!

We taught our first investigator in Finnish this week. His name was Eero. He is actually the other district's teacher, but it was a great experience teaching him. He made us feel like he was truly an investigator. I was so surprised that I could understand most of what he said, but did not have any words to adequately respond to him. Finnish is extremely difficult!!

We also had a great devotional by Brother Allen I believe. He is over the Missionary Department of the church and had some really great things to say about how Satan tempts us missionaries. He is really great at his job of making us feel inadequate and want to go home. I hope I can resist his temptations and withstand the stress. This week has been the toughest of my life.

One of the coolest things we got to do is go to the Finnish Consulate in LA on Tuesday! It was an EXHAUSTING DAY but so cool!! We had to get up at 3:15 to get on Front Runner and ride up to the airport. They were having 500 missionaries travel that day so it was packed!! It was so fun how many people talked to us and wished us luck and asked what we were doing.
Sisar Hansen. My Temporary companion for the LA trip!

Proof we were in LA :)

 I also had a cool missionary experience when I gave away a pass along card in the airport. I felt prompted to go talk to a man sitting and waiting who looked like he worked at the airport. It turned out that he had met with the missionaries 4 years ago but they had stopped coming. His son had passed away 2 years earlier so I was able to talk to him about Mom and to testify about how the gospel brings peace. It was an amazing experience!

Ahh I think that is all I have time to write! They keep us so insanely busy here! I am struggling so please if you have any uplifting words or just want to write a quick note send me a letter or a Dear Elder. I really only have time to write this email on P-Days!

I love you all and miss you!!

Mina Rakastan Sinua!!

Sisar Farnworth

P.S. Sorry if I have a million spelling or grammar mistakes. I am typing so fast!! And Finnish grammar is completely different and it is messing with my English. 
The Finnish Language is SO DIFFICULT!



No comments:

Post a Comment